Gurdwara Sahib 1755 Appling Road, Cordova, TN 38016
Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Gurdwara Building Purchase
Pyari Sadh Sangat Ji
WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa
WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh
With Guru's blessing , the Mid-South Sikh Sabha has purchased the building at 8221 Macon Road , Cordova , TN. This will be the permanent home for our Gurdwara Sahib. The closing formalities were completed on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 @ 10:00 AM at the Regions Bank.
On behalf of the Gurdwara Committee, I would like to congratulate all the Sangat members and thank them for their unconditional support for this project. The total building cost is $485,000.00. We have made a down payment of $ 190,000.00 leaving a mortgage balance of $ 295,000.00. The interest rate is 7.150% fixed for 10 years. The mortgage balance is set up to be amortized over 20 years. This will result in a monthly payment of $2,332.60. Since the building was a commercial building, it will incur property taxes. We are applying for a tax free status to the city of Memphis and Shelby county. Our attorney¢s opinion was that the it may not be before next year when this change may happen. So we may have to pay property taxes for the remainder of the year.
Again, it is a momentous occasion for the Sangat of Mid-South. Our Sangat now is 110 families strong, spread over three states of the Mid-South, Tennessee , Mississippi , and Arkansas . We tried to contact each and every family, and almost all of them contributed for the purchase of this building. We were able to collect little over $115,000.00 in three weeks. It is only due to Guru¢s blessing and Sangat's support that we are able to have a permanent place to worship.
Please make sure that you join in the first Kirtan on Sunday August 26, at the new Gurdwara Sahib at 8221 Macon Road , Cordova, TN. Professor Darshan Singh Ji, former Jathedar Akal Takhat Sahib and Ragi jatha of Bhai Amarjit Singh Ji will be performing the Kirtan.
Surjit Singh Kamra
July 14, 2007
Pyari Sadh Sangat JI:
Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh:
With SatGuru’s blessing and the support of Sadh Sangat, We have signed a contract to purchase the property at 8221 Macon Road, Cordova, TN 38018.
The purchase price is $485,000.00 and we have 45 days to close the deal
We would also like to point out that there was an error in the original listing of the property. The lot size is not one acre, but a little over 23,000 sq. ft, which is approximately slightly over ½ acre. This error by the seller was not deliberate. Since it was felt by the Sadh Sangat members who visited the building during open house on July 8, 2007 that the lot size and the building was most appropriate for our needs, the committee decided to go ahead with the purchase.
It is our intention to close the deal as early as possible, so that we can hold the Keertan Diwan of August 26, 2007 when Jathedar Professor Darshan Singh will be visiting Memphis.
The Gurdwara Committee members thank all the Sangat members for their support and their input in making the dream of permanent building for Gurdwara Sahib in Memphis a reality.
There is still a lot work to be done before the closing and S. Pritpal Singh Bansal Ji will be updating the progress being made in this regard. He will be posting the progress regularly on the Gurdwara website : www.MidsouthSikhSabha.org.
Please feel free to call me @ (901) 755-0697 orBansal Ji @ (901) 624-9577 for any questions or concerns about the building purchase.
Again, congratulations to all the Sangat members that we are very close to having a permanent buiding of our own for the Gurdwara Sahib and thank you for your continued support.
Sangat Da Das
Surjit Singh Kamra
A joint meeting of the incoming and outgoing committee was held at the residence of S. Pritpal Singh Bansal at 11:00 AM on Saturday July 21,2007. The members present included Mr & Mrs. Bansal, Dr. G.S. Bindra, Surat Singh Chatha, Mrs Neelam Bawa, Mrs. Sonia Marwah, Puneet Singh Kukreja, Surjit Singh Kamra . Also, present were Mr.& Mrs Bhupinder Singh Mander and Charanjit Singh Marwah. As you are all aware that M/s Marwah and Mander have put in lot of time and effort in contacting the general membership for Gurdwara fund raising.
All present agreed that we need to raise as much funds as possible before the closing of gurdwara building. This will help two ways. (1) The larger down payment we can make, the smaller the monthly payment (2) We should have a cushion of six months of Gurdwara expenses before we move into the new building. Based on this a goal of raising $90,000.00 was set.
Considering the limited time to raise funds, it was decided that members be divided in groups and each group should be assigned an area and all the groups should be working simultaneously. The following assignments were made:
S. Surat Singh Chatha will contact members in Oakland and Jackson, TN area
Dr. G.S. Bindra will contact members in Dyersburg, Union City and some members in Memphis area.
Surjit Singh kamra, Pritpal Singh Bansal, Mrs Neelam Bawa, Mrs. Rashpal Bansal will contact members in Little Rock, Tupelo, and some members in Collierville and Memphis area.
Charanjit Singh Marwah, Sonia Marwah, Bhupinder Singh Mander, Kiranjit Kaur Mander and Puneet Kukreja will contact Sangat members in Memphis area
It was also decided that Sangat members be encouraged to ask their friends who may not be members of Mid-South Sikh Sabha for Gurdwara buiding fund.
After the meeting was adjourned a sumptuous lunch was served by Mrs. Rashpal Bansal.
Below are the results of the financial feasibility that was done from 9th March thru April 2007. Also attached is a powerpoint presentation that was presented by Bhupinderji and me to the committee on June 3rd meeting.
MSSS Fund Raising Final.ppt
Bhupinder Mander Charanjit Marwah
Cell :- (559) 790-7291 Cell :- (901) 210-7346
Minutes of Gurdwara Committee meeting April 1, 2007
Gurdwara Committee meeting was held on Sunday April 1, 2007 after the regular Sunday Diwan and Langar. Members present included Surjit Singh Kamra, Pritpal Singh Bansal, Dr. Gurpal Singh Bindra, Mrs Neelam Bawa and Bhai Amarjit Singh. Members absent included Dali Suri, Bhavneet Sethi and Puneet Singh Kukreja.
Also, present were Chanranjit Singh Marwah and Bhupinder Singh Mander.
1 . Mr. Bansal updated the members on a couple of properties that he had investigated as prospective building site for Gurdwara. Both of these properties are in Marshall County, MS and conveniently located from Germantown, Collierville and Cordova . One of the property has 20 acres of land with a 3 bedroom house on it and priced around $600,000.00. Mr. Bansal had Checked it out to make sure that the land was not in flood zone. The other property was also in Marshal County and is only land (26 acres) @ $26,000.00 per acres.Mr. Bansal encouraged committee members to visit these sites so that we can make n appropriate decision.
2. Since the lease on condo room where Bhai Satinder Singh Ji is staying will has run out, Mr. kamra was asked to find a one bedroom apartment for Bhai Satinder Singh at the Willow Lake Apartments which is across from Gurdwara. The application has already been made to rent an apartment and hopefully the apartment will be available within a week to 10 days.
3. Dr. Bindra brought the committee up-to-date on the status of second Ragi Bhai Gurbachan Singh Ji. Bhai Amarjit Singh has recommended that since Nashville Gurdwara was in dire need of a Bhai Sahib that we transfer Bhai Gurbachan Singh Ji to Nashville.Dr. Bindra had a conversation with Mr.Kahlon of Nashville and indicated to them that if Nashville Gurdwara Committee will officially apply to INS for transfer of Bhai Gurbachan Singh to Nashville, Mid-South Sikh Sabha will be happy to transfer Bhai Sahib to Nashville. Dr. Bindra had received a phone call from Mr. Kahlon, that the Nashville Gurdwara Committee has agreed to do the needed paperwork to transfer Bhai Gurbachan Singh to Nashville. The committee also requested Bhai Amarjit Singh Ji to invite Bhai Gurbachan Singh to Memphis for Baisakhi program on April 22, 2007.
4. Mr. Kamra brought to the attention of the committee a request from the youth group that Gurdwara buy a laptop computer, screen and a projector for use during keertan. This will make it possible to project the Shabad being sung with the English translation of the Shabad. Dr. Bindra suggested that since most young people have their personal laptops, Gurdwara can for the time being buy the projector and the scree. Dr. Bindra moved that Gurdwara procure a projector and screen as requested by the youth group. Mr. Bansal seconded the motion. Motion passed unanimously.
5. Mr. Charanjit Singh Marwah and Bhupinder Singh Mander informed the committee that the fund raising efforts for new Gurdwara Building were in full swing . They already contacted 15-20 families and there goal was to contact all sangat members by end of April 2007. They will be able to give an update on the amount of financial commitments made by the sangat members
6. Marwah and Mander Ji also informed the committee that they had been telling the sangat members that if any member commits to $20,000.00 over ten years ( $2000.00 per year for 10 years or 40 equal quarterly payments of $500.00 each) or $10,000.00 lump sum within 30 days of the agreement, the member will get a permanent lifetime Trusteeship to the MSSS as well as a ten-year paid membership to the Mid-south Sikh Sabha (MSSS). This promise was based on a proposal which was a part of proposed constitution circulated by Mr. Bansal. Since the constitution has not yet been passed, this proposal was really approved by the committee.
7. Dr. Bindra made a motion that committee approve the above proposal and that the money donated by members in earlier years be also counted toward the $20,000.00/10 year requirement. Motion was seconded by Mr. Bansal and passed unanimously.
There being no other business, the meeting was adjourned